Well, after a bit of experimentation and winging it, I’ve come up with this sweet and tangy banana cake.
- 3/4 cup Plantain Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon citric acid
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 125g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup castor sugar
- 2 free range eggs
- 4 organic lady finger bananas
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, fan forced
- Peel bananas and reduce to pulp in a blender
- In a separate bowl, mix plantain flour, bicarb soda and citric acid
- Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition
- Add banana pulp into mixture and mix well
- Fold in half the flour, then half the milk, then remainder of flour and milk, mix well.
- Spoon mixture evenly into a seven or eight inch sandwich tin or springform tin
- Bake 25 mins
The citric acid in the recipe helps lighten the mix and provides a nice sharp aftertaste to the sweetness of the bananas. I hope you enjoy it.