With Halloween and Thanksgiving coming up in Canada and the US I thought I’d offer all you intolerant people out there a grain free version of pumpkin pie.
- 200g almond meal
- 50g melted butter
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (optional)
- 250g pumpkin
- 250g gold sweet potato
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly pressed into measuring cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup pouring cream (it can be thickened, just make sure it’s runny, not the sort that can maintain its shape if dolloped.)
- 2 eggs
Mix all base ingredients together well. Press firmly into an 8 inch pie plate and cover base and sides. Refrigerate while you prepare filling.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
Steam pumpkin and sweet potato separately until tender. * Let cool.
*Make sure you steam the vegetables not boil them as boiling will increase the water content and make the mixture too runny.
When pumpkin and sweet potato are cool place in a blender or food processor with the remaining filling ingredients and blend well until mixture is smooth.
Pour mixture onto the prepared almond base and bake for about 1 hour or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack then refrigerate until filling is firm.
I serve this with custard and cream, but the girls in my writing group will attest that it tastes just fine without embellishment.
Hope you enjoy it!